Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Randi Hunter Loves Charlevoix


Why I love Charlevoix

At the point this blog is being published, you have probably heard how wonderful Charlevoix is…mostly out of the mouths of the people that were born and raised here.  I wasn’t raised here.  In fact, I have been calling this my home for only 9 years now.  I grew up in a tiny little town on a lake that was so dirty that you never swam in it.  Don’t get me wrong, I had a great upbringing.  My town had a wonderful sense of community.  People took care of each other.  I had the same teachers that my dad did and everyone knew my name.  I am proud of where I came from.


I immediately left for the Navy after graduating high school.  Boot camp in Chicago, school in San Diego and then orders to a ship in Hawaii.  I found my way, forged new friends and developed a military family of my own.  How could anything ever compare to that time in my life????


The end of my enlistment came and I moved to Charlevoix.  I was here, my family was here, but was this my HOME???  I quickly found work at a brand new hotel, AmericInn.  I had my oldest son Kelton.  Ryan and I got married.  I became the General Manager at the hotel.  People gave a couple of young kids a chance.  Our lives took off.


Before long, I attended a Chamber Business After Hours.  I ran into a girl that I knew from around town that also ran a business.  Something clicked that night.  I had my first true friend in Charlevoix.  I started meeting other people and getting involved in the town.  I started to meet other parents.  I literally walked door to door trying to get people into my business.  I was that annoying person that called your business 12 times asking where your employees and reps stay.  People gave my business a chance.  They gave me a chance.


I don’t remember the exact moment when I KNEW this was my home.  I just know that this town grew on me…and I grew on it.  We bought a nice house in a neighborhood that we love.  Our son started school at Charlevoix Elementary.  I was asked to serve on a few different boards.  I felt like my opinion was respected.  I felt like I belonged.


As time goes on, I only feel more blessed.  My children get to grow up in such an incredible town.  We have a Castle, a fountain downtown, and a huge cherry pie.  We swim in the lake, find sea glass on the beach, and sled at Mt. McSauba.  We watch fireworks during Venetian and eat honey crisp apples for days past AppleFest.  I get to share my life with amazing people.  The kind of people I grew up with.  The kind of people you want your children to become.


This is our home by choice and I’m proud to call it our home.  That is why I love Charlevoix.

Randi Hunter
General Manager
AmericInn Charlevoix

No comments:

Post a Comment